Thursday, April 23, 2009

Muah!

Greetings and goodbyes in Venezuela take a long time. There is no way to enter or leave a room without first hugging and kissing everyone. At first it was strange, but soon it made me feel all happy and fuzzy inside. Everyone acknowledged one another warmly. My friends and I tried bringing it back to the States, but since I didn't want to catch a punch to the face, I quickly stopped.

I love the people at church that come up and give me a tight, love-radiating hug. It's so rare but very appreciated. Sincere greetings often help fellowship and community start. And honestly, no where does an averted glance or lack of a hello sting worse than at church. We're family, right?

It has to start with me.

Maybe I should take it one step further and bring back the holy kiss!

No comments: