Sunday, March 21, 2010

Working Heartily, As Unto The Lord

.
I am a Christian and I work in an office high-rise. The walls surrounding my desk are beige, the free green tea in the kitchen is disturbingly really green when brewed, the neighbors in my cubicle quadrant are loud, and many years of spreadsheet wizardry in non-ergonomic settings are leading to Quasimodo-esque posture. Some Christians are serving distant nations full time as missionaries, but this mission field of mine is much closer to home: four and a half minutes by subway to be exact.

I've spent many hours wrestling with what it looks like to be a reflection of Christ in my 8'x8' space. It is not a mistake that I am sitting in this cube. Though it often feels like a trial, God is using my eight-to five to sanctify me to the likeness of His Son. When the waves of discontentment arise within me, or the sinful pouting begins, the Lord is often quick to remind me of the Scripture passage below:

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.

Colossians 3:23-24


What has God been teaching you through life in a cubicle (or home office, science lab, film set, etc.)? Which areas of your vocational calling are currently a struggle for you?

.

4 comments:

E7sens. said...

but you get to go home faster than anyone else ...

try the green tea, maybe its a special blend!

Blessy said...

Answer - That I need His grace and wisdom for my every excel formula. haha. Not really trying to be funny. I would say working the 8X8 space has been the place I've felt most weak in so far in my life. But its where I've come to see how MUCH I need Him to be my all and HOW dependent I truly am on Him and His provision to complete all things for the purpose of His glory and to display His glory to all around me.

Helen said...

So many ways...trying to let coworkers know that I can still enjoy life as a Christian; wisdom in bringing up Christian subjects and opinions at work; being conscientious with time and productivity and even the way I dress! All sources of constant growth and struggle at times.

crissycheek said...

we are so defined by what we do. I don't like it so much. probably because I'm not doing what I want to do.. wait... I don't know what I want to do...