Monday, March 16, 2009

Enemy's Camp

Ever notice that songs you may have enjoyed when younger don’t quite resonate anymore? Or perhaps you no longer agree with the message? Even churches can use songs that sound great, but when you strip away the music and just follow the lyrics, it leaves you scratching your head.

Take for example, the song I Went to The Enemy’s Camp. There are basically only two lines in this entire song, the first being “I went to the enemy’s camp and I took back what he stole from me” and “he’s under my feet, Satan is under my feet.” Repeat those lines about 10 times and that is the whole song. It is an upbeat song, the kind that even has motions (stomping feet). So you've got the whole church (probably Pentecostal because I could never see Methodists being down with this song) dressed in their Sunday best singing these two lines over and over and stomping on Satan’s head.

Seriously?

I don’t think it was the writer’s intention, but the song makes me feel like I am this awesome warrior who is going to spring a surprise attack on Satan and defeat him single-handedly.

1. Do we really think Satan is going to let us just stroll up like that?
2. What is it that he stole from us?
3. How do you take “it” back? How does he end up under your feet?
4. Who is it that defeats Satan?
5. Where is Jesus, God, the Holy Spirit, or the Cross in this song?

Really, were it not for God’s grace, we would be in Satan’s camp.

No comments: