Thursday, June 19, 2008

Compassion Permanence

Object permanence is the term used to describe the awareness that objects continue to exist even when they are no longer visible.

At church last year they talked about the need for Christians to have Compassion Permanence. It really struck me how there are many issues that tug at my heart at specific times (abortion, sex-trafficking, poverty) and then quickly flee my brain as I no longer focus on them or move on to my work week.

I need more compassion permanence. I need to truly be aware and burdened by various issues, and not for just a day or week. Christians should be at the forefront of caring for the poor and orphaned and widowed. It can be through prayer, financial giving, sacrificing time, a career change, etc. This race is not about being comfortable.

Is their hunger their greatest need? Their greatest need, along with mine, is to be saved from their sins and God's holy wrath. But often meeting "felt needs" opens the door to talking about our greatest need. It is an expression of love to give the thirsty a cup of clean water, and it is even more loving (and necessary) to share with them the source of living water.

I want to end the race well.

No comments: